Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Creatures of the Wasteland: Deathclaw
















Remember what I said about the government tinkering with science in ways that are probably best left alone? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Pray you never run into one of these unprepared. On second thought, even someone who is prepared will face the fight of their life.

The Deathclaw is something of the ultimate killing machine. It is swift, brutal, relentless, and intelligent. The eponymous claws are more than capable of rending steel and even power armor, and when stalking prey they can become shockingly quiet. Most Deathclaws are solitary, which is bad enough, but occasionally packs of Deathclaws can be found. I haven't experienced this myself - hopefully I never will - but I've heard them howling at night, a sound that always makes me barricade the doors a little more firmly.

If you have to take one of these down, use the longest-ranged weaponry you can get your hands on. The Deathclaw will close the distance to you at superhuman speeds. Planting traps, such as the Frag Mine or Bottlecap Mine is also an extremely viable tactic: the Deathclaw will be too focused on you to notice the mine at its feet, and once crippled they make an easy target.

One last note: I understand the Enclave is working on ways to harness the Deathclaws using some form of mind control. If this happens, encountering an Enclave patrol will take on a new meaning of fear.

No comments: