Sunday, November 16, 2008

First, a Little History.












War. War never changes.

The end of the world happened pretty much as people expected it might: Too many people, not enough resources. Just over two hundred years ago, international tensions that had been simmering since the end of World War II started to boil over in a series of events that came to be known as the Resource Wars.

On October 23, 2077, it all came crashing down as the United States and China decided enough was enough. World War II lasted six years. World War III lasted just under an hour. It’s not known who pushed the button first, and frankly, it doesn’t matter. That was over 200 years ago. Obviously, it wasn’t the end. Life has a funny way of going on, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. You’ll be hearing more about that soon, as if the very fact of your reading this didn’t make it clear.

Oh yeah, I’m Jake Chambers, and I’ll be your humble narrator for this story. For the first 18 years of my life the only world I knew was a protective vault housed in the side of a mountain. Just a few weeks ago my world came crashing down around me as well. I’ll be explaining that later on.

Right now, I have to keep moving. It’s late, and I hear the howling of deathclaws.

No comments: